Re: Forming a LLC in California

Amehrabi(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

Colleagues,
I was wondering if any of you ever formed a LLC (Limited Liability Company) in California. Perhaps you can share some of your experiences. This can be in any aspects of forming a LLC, after formation, taxation, etc. Thanks, Ali Mehrabian, Ph.D., M.ASCE
West Coast Research Institute
1233 Amherst Ave., Suite 105
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: (310) 612-6661

FWIW, I believe the correct term is "Limited Liability CORPORATION." I don't know about California, but here in Texas the conventional wisdom has come 'round to view this is unnecessarily complicated for small engineers. You're better off just going with the tried-and-true S-Corp. Among other things the LLC is so "new" that the IRS rules are still in flux, leading to unnecessary frustration with regard to some tax and legal issues.