Re: Are Roof Top Units considered Dead or Live Loads?

On 6 Jan 2005, at 11:29, Paul Ransom wrote:

> > From: "Dennis S. Wish, PE" <dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>
>
> > I've never considered a roof top A/C or Swamp Cooler to be a dead load.
>
> What's a swamp cooler?
>
> --
> R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
> Civil/Structural/Project/International
> Burlington, Ontario, Canada
> <mailto:ado26(--nospam--at)hwcn.org> <http://www.hwcn.org/~ad026/civil.html>

Paul,

A swamp cooler is an evaporative cooler.  It's generally box shaped,
about 2.5' x 2.5' x 3' tall, and has a pan in the bottom that gets filled
with water.  A submersable pump sits in the pan and pumps the water
to the tops of fiber pads that surround the sides of the box.  The water
wets the pads, and a large "squirrel cage" fan pulls air through the
wetted pads, evaporating the water and cooling the air, which then
enters the space that is being cooled.

I suspect that the term swamp cooler comes from the increased
humidity that the coolers create, making the air feel muggy and
swampy, or from the smells that often accompany these types of
coolers, or from the growth in the pan, that can be somewhat
swamp-like. <grin>

HTH,
Lloyd Pack