From: Foy, Warren [mailto:Warren.Foy(--nospam--at)mhgrp.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 1:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Joke: A scene from "A Few Good Structural Engineers"

A scene from "A Few Good Structural Engineers"

Engineer (Jack Nickelson): You want answers?
Architect (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Engineer: You want answers?
Architect: I want the truth!!

Engineer : You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has
FLOORS.
And those FLOORS have to be SUPPORTED BY COLUMNS.
Who's gonna DESIGN THEM? You? You, MR. ARCHITECT?
I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.
You weep for LOST FLOOR SPACE and you curse the COLUMNS.
You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know:
that
THOSE COLUMNS, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence,
while
grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the
truth.
Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want
me on
that DESIGN TEAM. You need me on that DESIGN TEAM.

We use words like DESIGN, code, ANALYSIS...we use these words as the
backbone to a life spent SUPPORTING something. You use 'em as a
punchline.
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain my DESIGN to a
man
who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very STRUCTURES I provide,
then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just
said
thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a STEEL
MANUAL and DESIGN a post.
Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Architect : Did you SCHEDULE THE COLUMNS?
Engineer : (quietly) I did the job you HIRED me to do.
Architect : Did you SCHEDULE THE COLUMNS?
Engineer : You're goddamn right I did!!