Re: tsunami volunteers

akester wrote:

but my lack of knowledge of tsunamis and oceanography is this- does a tsunami wave have a very long period with a mass of water behind it, so that it doesn't just curl and break on the reef or rock ledge like a normal wave?

Er, can a tsunami be said to have a "period"? I thought it was just a single wave-front, not a periodic phenomenon.

And that it is the frightening amount of energy in that wavefront that is the real problem, energy that is so massive it does NOT dissipate quickly enough on hitting shallow water.

The wavefront travels at the speed of sound in water.