From: David Topete [mailto:davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 11:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Timber Truss Gusset Plate

I would agree that the joint is in equilibrium, and
that the axial member forces are resolved into their
respective vert and horiz components.  So, no, there
should be no/minor perp-to-grain forces on the bottom
chord for example...  I would then to think that the
first quarter undergrad lectures in Statics should be
true.  Otherwise, why would the method of joints be
taught???
David Topete, PE
SF, CA