Re: passive energy dissipation

David,

The basic method I used to size the damper on my recent bridge project was
to find the critical damping of the main mode, then size the damper to be
about 25% of that amount. It worked extremely well, and my first back of
the envelope calc was very close to the final.

In terms of analysis, I agree with Christopher Wright insofar as needing a
time history analysis. They take a long time to run, and its more work to
interpret the results, but they eliminate a whole layer of assumptions. I
really couldn't imagine designing a damper without time history.

Michael Ludvik, PE

             David Topete
             <davetopete@yahoo
                                       SEAINT List <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
             01/11/2005 12:55                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       passive energy dissipation
             Please respond to
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

List,
Our office has been awarded a project, and we are
considering using energy dissipation, such as dampers.
 I'd appreciate any input regarding the design
approach.  in particular, if used in a SMRF structure,
but in a chevron brace configuration, would it be
considered a dual system?  i.e. CBF resists 100% of
lateral load and SMRF resists 25%?  TIA.
David Topete, PE
SF, CA