Re: Handrails...

David Fisher wrote:

List members:

What is the allowable deflection for a handrail?

I’m reviewing the misc metal guy’s calcs and he’s getting 1.75”

For a 42” high railing on a balcony 10” long (wide).

Seems excessive to me.

I don't believe there is any code requirement for deflection, just the loads that are to be applied.
The deflection of 1.75" is about L/48.  The handrail may be strong enough, but deflection like that might scare
someone who leaned against it suddenly.