From: Himat Solanki [mailto:hsolanki(--nospam--at)scgov.net]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 3:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Handrails...

I don't recall any deflection requirements for a hand rail.

EC recommends the stresses @ L/300., while the Department of the Army
ETL 1110-2-534, Sept 1994 publication considered stiffness ratio of post
and railing. this publication include a design  example and a chart.

Himat Solanki

>>> dfisher(--nospam--at)fpse.com 1/11/2005 3:26:33 PM >>>

List members:

What is the allowable deflection for a handrail?

I'm reviewing the misc metal guy's calcs and he's getting 1.75"

For a 42" high railing on a balcony 10" long (wide).

Seems excessive to me.

Any thoughts?

David L. Fisher SE PE

Fisher + partners