Re: OT - Does spelling really count?

Christopher Wright wrote:

On Jan 11, 2005, at 1:13 AM, Dennis S. Wish, PE wrote:

Think about what would happen in the steel code were written this way.

They already are - it's called ambiguity. Spelling and punctuation are not the issue - comprehension is 8-) and most codes are written for lawyers rather than practitioners. On a side note, I'm reading Tolkein's 'Silmarillion' and it is the closest thing to interpreting code that I can think of. First you must learn the language, then follow the interpretation and finally dig for the intent. Great story, but my book is bent in half as I keep going to the references at the back to recall what the word meant or who the name referred to or how it should be pronounced.

Dennis