Re: Extending concrete filled HSS columns

Steel already frames into the top of the column from 3
sides, and masonry is tight to the remaining side.

I've reconsidered the concept - I've already come up
with a viable welded design as I was expected.  If the
contractor wants to come up with some other ideas,
they can design it, test it and propose it to the
owner and the architect.  There are too many unknowns
to pursue something irregular at this point.  That is
unless I can find a precedent design.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Jim