From: David Maynard [mailto:davemaynard(--nospam--at)ceincorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 2:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ...a couple more details...

I think the 50 plf on the top rail is a little on the conservative side.  Many of my handrails I have done using the CFR29, and that states a single 200 lbs  concentrated horizontal force applied anywhere to the top rail.  It also give recommendations as to what a handrail should be built as and out of, but I won't get into that.  That may help  you with your analysis.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming