From: jwknospam
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 12:59 PM
Subject: RE: Handrails...

Thor - I think some of my messages to the list are getting lost in transit,
so if you get this directly but not through the list could I get you to
reply directly to me?  Thanks.
------------

> BTW, do you guys across the border make a (structural)
> distinct between "handrails" and "guardrails"?

Yes -
A guardrail is something to keep you from falling into a hole.

A handrail is something you grab, and it can be attached to a wall, part of
the structure, or to the front of a guardrail.  In most situations the top
rail of a guardrail is also considered to be a handrail.

A guardrail must resist a 200 lb point load at any point in any direction.

A handrail has a 20plf load in residences and 50plf load in other
structures.  Since a guardrail usually has a handrail attached to it, it
must also resist the handrail loads.

To go back a few posts, I was at a seminar on the OSHA rules on steel
erection (Subpart "R") last night.  Part of the discussion was on
guardrails, and the "expert" there mentioned that OSHA sets a maximum
deflection of 2".  I don't know which Subpart sets this limit, but I do know
that it isn't "R".