Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: Handrails...

Thor,

29 CFR 1910.21 has the following definition:

Handrail.  A single bar or pipe supported on brackets from a wall or partition, as on a stairway or ramp, to furnish persons with a handhold in case of tripping.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"vicpeng" <vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net>

01/12/2005 11:42 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Handrails...

I'm being picky here, but, due to various "discussions" with pro and non-pro building personal on this side, I have an interest in the semantics/interpretations.

If you have a "handrail" that is an element attached to a wall, when would the structural requirements (loads, deflections etc.) be relevant, invoked, or non-applicable?

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng
Victoria, BC
Canada

vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net
Handrails are single rails on the side of a wall and guardrails are the posts and railings next to open areas.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.

ABS Consulting

"vicpeng" <vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net>

01/12/2005 11:24 AM

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Handrails...

BTW, do you guys across the border make a (structural) distinct between "handrails" and "guardrails"?

Thor A. Tandy P.Eng
Victoria, BC
Canada

vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net