Re: IRC Braced Panels

Well put.

If I may, one thing you are forgetting about your sample building is that
there is some kind of siding between those prescriptive panels.  Here in the
Northwest plywood on all exterior walls is common, whether called out or
not.  I understand this is not the case everywhere, however there is
something, and that something has some kind of capacity.  My point being it
isn't just those three 4' panels.  But again, I am not disputing that your
sample IRC design is as good as an IBC design of the same building.  But to
compare them is apples and oranges really, one is design the other is
prescribed.

You do raise a few good points which really boils down to this, is saving
few hundred, maybe a couple of thousand dollars in construction worth the
cost of repairs after a high load event?  I have asked this of home owners
and builders alike and the majority say lets save the money now.  Perhaps
educating our clients is in order concerning the IRC.  Though in housing,
the owners are rarely even in the picture at the point at which a home is
designed (at least in the case of the IRC since they tend to be the homes
built by developers, not custom home jobs), so they aren't even there to ask
whether they prefer a better performing design versus bare minimum for life
safety.

I have no argument with the idea that an IBC design would perform better
than an IRC, but when both can be used, who makes the decision on which to
use?  As seems to be the case in other parts of the country, the builder is
making the call most of the time.  Probably not the best person to be making
that decision.  However, I will design him an IRC house if I feel the house
is well within the requirements of the IRC.  Thankfully, my firm is diverse
enough that we can afford to walk away from certain residential work if we
don't feel the IRC is applicable, which we have done.  Before we sign a
contract with anyone we know whether we will be using the IRC or not, and
that decision was ours to make.

Concerning the CUREE comments, I will have to check my references, but I
could have sworn that I read the term "generally performed well" with regard
to residential construction and the Northridge Earthquake.  I will look that
up, I believe I have the paper in which that was said.

Ted Ryan