RE: Factored Load Combinations with Cranes

A crane is an equipment load. The load should not be reduced.

The loading should be based on crane capacity with impact factors.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Lewis [mailto:sea(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 8:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Factored Load Combinations with Cranes

Are there factored load combinations recommended for design in a one story building with a crane supported by the steel framing?   IBC Section 2.3.2 gives load combinations but doesn't distinguish crane hook loads like it does in allowable stress load combinations.  I interpret the crane load to be an 'L' load, separating it from the roof live load Lr.  This means in Equations 3, 4, 5 I can reduce the crane load to a factor of 0.5.  Am I looking at this correctly?

I ask this for foundation design load combinations.

Rich Lewis

Lewis Engineering