RE: Factored Load Combinations with Cranes

Thanks for this response.  I wonder if you could elaborate a little further.

IBC 2003 states that for occupancy loads of 100 psf or more you can’t reduce it.  It says for all other live loads it can be reduced.

ASCE 7-02 basically states the same thing except it infers it is for occupancy loads, which is not equipment.

PEMB designers use some different load combination factors for ASD design when combining crane with live and wind forces.  Are there any PEMB designers out there who can clarify what typical practice is for load factor design?

Thanks.

Rich Lewis

Lewis Engineering