RE: IRC Braced Panels

Ted,

Here we have some common ground.  I have done work in Washington and am
familiar with their very stringent requirements.

Dennis has produced some exceptional responses in this thread,
particularly his proposals in his "shorter and more to the point"
response. - I agree with him very much, as well as Dmitri.

Here is my summary that is not an opinion:
MR ANYBODY, who has no formal schooling, can either read up on the IRC,
or just throw together a set of plans and have the plan reviewer mark it
up or explain it to them.  There will be braced panels throughout the
house with no holdowns.

MR ENGINEER, the registered design professional with years of schooling
and experience, is asked to engineer a nearly identical home.  He
produces results consistent with the requirements of the IBC or UBC, and
there are holdowns throughout the home, plus some extra interior
sheathing.

Mr Contractor bids on both homes.  He may or may not bump up the price
much for the engineered home.  But he is sure to comment to his friends,
the owner, the designer, whoever, that the engineer is "extreme".  I
know because in a former career I used to be a contractor, and I used to
design my own homes, and I just couldn't' understand why Mr Engineer
didn't like my braced panels.  And I'm a nice guy:)

Plus the old-timers love to point out those homes that have been there
for 100 years.  Who cares that we design for a 500 yr return period?

WHY SHOULD A GROSS DISPARITY BETWEEN THE IRC AND IBC MAKE US LOOK LIKE
THE BAD GUYS WITHOUT COMMON SENSE, WHEN WE'RE NOT?

Ed Tornberg
Salem, Oregon
Tornberg Consulting, LLC
503-551-4165