From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 9:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Blogging

Joe -
Since I'm under 30 and I live in Seattle, you would think I had my own blog
years ago...
Blog is short for "Web Log."  All they are is an on-line diary that you can
share with the rest of the world.  It's just a web site where people post
their daily musings about whatever they think is important in their little
corner of the universe.  Obviously with the power of the internet, you can
link your thoughts to other references...but in my opinion, the only reason
there is all this hype surrounding them is because the term is new and a lot
of people want to get in the loop.

They started, or at least became news worthy, when employees at big
companies like Microsoft started Blogs about what they were doing at work
day-to-day.  I guess if you have the time (which I sure don't) Blogs are fun
to read, but the real trick to one is getting people to read yours.
Otherwise you're just doing it for kicks I guess.  There are "popular"
Bloggers that have established followings, mostly amateur political pundits
that sprung up around the election.  Some of the best that I have read are
from journalists covering the war in Iraq...real stuff that you don't see
pictures of on the nightly news.

So now you are in on the secret Joe, and don't worry, it won't change your
life one bit.

Eli Grassley