Re: IRC Braced Panels

Ed, you forgot on;
MR. DEVELOPER wants his materials and labor to be as little as possible to maximize his profit on a supply and demand sales basis and he does not want to disclose this to the owner. In fact, he now can advertise that his homes are Wind and Seismic safe as any home because they were designed to the current code (which one is no longer an issue). This is more the case in my neck of the woods. You have a valid point related to the Contractors comments that a layperson understands while the engineer speaks geek. In most cases a Contractor will bid what is put before him and save his comments about the design requirements to himself - that is unless he is also the Developer and then he will more than likely trash the engineer. When I built my home, I found out later from the local building inspectors that the other builders in my neighborhood would drive by and laugh at my home for the amount of plywood and hardware I put in. But they don't have to sell it or live in it, I do and I'm willing to put my life in the hands of my experience with earthquake damaged structures and my education in structural engineering.

Dennis

Ed Tornberg wrote:

Ted,

Here we have some common ground.  I have done work in Washington and am
familiar with their very stringent requirements.
Dennis has produced some exceptional responses in this thread,
particularly his proposals in his "shorter and more to the point"
response. - I agree with him very much, as well as Dmitri.

Here is my summary that is not an opinion:
MR ANYBODY, who has no formal schooling, can either read up on the IRC,
or just throw together a set of plans and have the plan reviewer mark it
up or explain it to them.  There will be braced panels throughout the
house with no holdowns.

MR ENGINEER, the registered design professional with years of schooling
and experience, is asked to engineer a nearly identical home.  He
produces results consistent with the requirements of the IBC or UBC, and
there are holdowns throughout the home, plus some extra interior
sheathing.

Mr Contractor bids on both homes.  He may or may not bump up the price
much for the engineered home.  But he is sure to comment to his friends,
the owner, the designer, whoever, that the engineer is "extreme".  I
know because in a former career I used to be a contractor, and I used to
design my own homes, and I just couldn't' understand why Mr Engineer
didn't like my braced panels.  And I'm a nice guy:)

Plus the old-timers love to point out those homes that have been there
for 100 years.  Who cares that we design for a 500 yr return period?

WHY SHOULD A GROSS DISPARITY BETWEEN THE IRC AND IBC MAKE US LOOK LIKE
THE BAD GUYS WITHOUT COMMON SENSE, WHEN WE'RE NOT?

Ed Tornberg
Salem, Oregon
Tornberg Consulting, LLC
503-551-4165