Re: Mass realty check...

David,
I had the same problem-100 yr old same building except two stories
high.  Niagara Falls is a Canadian zone 2.  I intended
use the apartment walls as shear walls using heavy gauge
studs screwed to floors and walls and at ground level, I
intended to install helical earth anchors.  For the ext-
erior masonry walls I strapped them both ways inside and
out with galv'd steel straps.  Everyone (architect, owner
and contractor) told me I was nuts.  I was able to cut
back some of the reinforcing, but the contractor refused
to install the anchors and all the screws and went hired
his own engineer who said seismic reinforcing wasn't necessary
as it was an existing building. The city went along with it.
BS.
Gary