steel beams bearing on wood columns

I have a client (architect) who would like me to bear my steel beams on built-up wood columns (several 2x6's).  I can't say that I have ever seen this done and wondered whether there are any code reasons not to as long as I can make all of the stress conditions work and they tell me that wood is not an issue as far as fire is concerned.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
LVTA