RE: steel beams bearing on wood columns

The wood nailers suggested by Ken are a good way to facilitate the marriage of the steel beam with the wood framing.  I've also welded Simpson column caps to steel beams to adapt them to wood columns.  Allow for cross grain shrinkage of the wood just like you would with other Simpson products.

Bob G.
-----Original Message-----
From: Nels Roselund [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 10:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: steel beams bearing on wood columns

Ken,

Your architect's request seems reasonable to me.

In a wood-framed residence in which a wood beam would have been too large to fit into the architectural envelope, I've used a steel beam with a wood nailer bolted to each flange so that the beam could be set into structure and connected pretty much like a piece of lumber.  To add steel columns into the wood framing would have complicated the construction, and may have required bringing another trade [steelworkers] onto the project.

Nels Roselund, SE

South San Gabriel, CA

njineer(--nospam--at)att.net