RE: aci 318-02 vs. 318-99

When I took the exam in 2002, I found very little use of the code.  I found
that the Civil/Structural exam used more general questions, especially when
it came to concrete design.  One, in particular, was the shear strength of a
T-beam.  Another was a pre-tensioned reinforced beam question, who's
solution was just abuot exact to that found in the study materials from
ppi2pass.com.  As for load factors, the PE Exam will give you "factored
loads" and "working loads" based on the question and what it is asking.  The
nuts and bolts "analysis" portion of concrete design, as called forth in the
ACI manual hasn't changed greatly from the '98 edition.  I still think you
should get the '02 version, because they will be used after the exam.  But
the changes within shouldn't effect you so much.  You may want to thumb
through to get familiar with where things are at though.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming