From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 12:21 PM
To: seaint
Subject: IRC and Plan Reviewers

I have a question to kind of continue our latest discussion.  Actually, it may be somewhat of a request.

It has seemed to me that where some of the problem comes from (in the battle between engineers and plan reviewers regarding IRC and IBC) is that there aren’t guidelines indicating when conventional framing provisions should stop and an engineered design should begin.  Are there any of you out there working within a jurisdiction where the jurisdiction has made that determination for their area?  If so, have they put it in a statute or some sort of directive, basically anything like a hard copy?  I would like to gather some information if it is out there to take to my local town and county plan reviewers as some sort of ammunition to begin a discussion on this topic.  I would rather go in NOT like the lone ranger among the engineering community on this matter.

Thanks

J. Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.