RE: Equestrian bridge loads and railings

Bill,

Section 3.14.1.3 of Caltrans' BDS also provides an equestrian loading for
bridges.

"3.14.1.3  Bridges for pedestrian, equestrian and/or bicycle traffic shall
be designed for a live load of 85 psf.  Check equestrian bridge for 0.5(H20)
= (H10) loading.

For (LL+I), use group (Isub-H) with BetasubL = 1.0 (see Table 8.22.1A).
Apply impact accroding to article 3.8."

I did not see any reference for equestrian rail loading in section 2.7, only
vehicles, pedestrians and bicycles.

Caltrans' Bridge Design Spec is accessible (free) through their website at
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/techpubs/manual/bridgemanuals/bridge-design-spe
cifications/B-B-specs.htm

HTH,
Brent