From: Rich Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:59 PM
Subject: Off Topic - An engineer probably should know this, but I don't

Maybe some of you northern, snow bound engineers can answer this for me.  I bought a house last year that has a fireplace insert.  When I moved in the glass windows were black with carbon.  The fireplace, not the whole house :o)  I cleaned them off.  But now when I have a fire they blacken up again.  How can I keep them clean?  I think it must have something to do with the air flow, but I?ve tried adjusting the louvers and I still get black windows.  It?s not as enjoyable watching a black window with a slight orange glow as it is a real fire!

Thanks.

Rich Lewis

Lewis Engineering