Re: Off Topic - An engineer probably should know this, but I don't

On Jan 18, 2005, at 11:59 AM, Rich Lewis wrote:

 I bought a house last year that has a fireplace insert.  When I moved in the glass windows were black with carbon.
If you're burning wood, you'll always get soot, but it ought to be carried up the flue. The quantity of soot depends on the kind of wood you're burning--piney woods produce a lot of it. You should check your combustion air supply. This is extremely important, without sufficient combustion air you could be producing carbon monoxide. What often happens is that the house is sealed tightly and the draft up the chimney pulls a slight negative pressure in the house. The result is a back draft which doesn't allow complete combustion and may actually pull combustion products back into the house, if not from the chimney, then from appliances like a gas furnace or water heater. Minnesota has code requirements to prevent this, but it still happens in old houses.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/