Slab buckling

Does anyone know of research on or formulas for checking a slab for buckling when laterally restraining a retaining wall.  It would seem that gravity would be resisting this buckling action, but I do not know how to take this into account.  I know there are thousands of homes here in California where the basement retaining walls are being restrained by slabs instead of shear keys, and I've not heard anything about buckling slabs.  Any comments.  (I have already read the previous threads on this, but found no real help)  Thanks in advance.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering