From: Mark Pemberton <markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Slab buckling
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:04:06 -0800 (PST)

Does anyone know of research on or formulas for checking a slab for
buckling when laterally restraining a retaining wall. It would seem that
gravity would be resisting this buckling action, but I do not know how to
take this into account. I know there are thousands of homes here in
California where the basement retaining walls are being restrained by slabs
instead of shear keys, and I've not heard anything about buckling slabs.
Any comments. (I have already read the previous threads on this, but found
no real help) Thanks in advance.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering