SLAB BUCKLING

Does anyone know of research on or formulas for checking a slab for
buckling when laterally restraining a retaining wall. It would seem that
gravity would be resisting this buckling action, but I do not know how to=

take this into account. I know there are thousands of homes here in
California where the basement retaining walls are being restrained by slab=
bs
instead of shear keys, and I've not heard anything about buckling slabs.
Any comments. (I have already read the previous threads on this, but foun=
no real help) Thanks in advance.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering

Reply:

You could be more specific about the configuration.
A vertical slab would be assisted by gravity in its tendency to buckle.

"Buckling" is a misnomer here.
A slab is usually to thick to effectively act as beam-column.
It will fail in (slightly) eccentric compression.
Just take the peak deflection and double it to be sure.
Multiply by compression to get bending moment.
Increase it on account of compression. (On the side where compression is additive.)
Compare with allowable moment.
You have done it.

Sincerely, Gregory

Dr Gregory Szuladzinski