Steel Beams on Wood Posts/Columns

Ken Peoples/All,

FWIW-

Flipping through the "Residential Structure and
Framing" Guide from the editors of The Journal of
Light Construction for something else, I found the
following statement:

"The author recommends against supporting steel beams
on wood posts.  Rolling tolerances in the steel or an
unsquare cut on the post could result in uneven
bearing.  Also, the lag screw into the post's end
grain is a weak connection, while the blocking
required to make a strong connection is much more
time-consuming than simply bolting a steel column's
cap plate to the bottom flange."

That being said, it makes no recommendation about
using a manufactured connection to resolve these
issues.  And who's to say that wood beams don't have
installation tolerances too...

Regards,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA