Re: Fireplace soot--was: Off Topic - An engineer probably should know this, but I don't

I burn coal in my stove and this happens only when I start up my stoker fire to get the coal burning. To keep the carbon off my glass I cover the glass with tinfoil. If you burn wood thoug, I can't offer much advice.