From: Kestner, James W. [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 11:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Who is the EOR?

This question has nothing to do with a future, current or past project.
I work for an A/E firm, so it is not an issue with any of those
projects.

Once in awhile, however, we will have contractors ask for a proposal for
us to do foundations only. The bid we provide them is to do all the work
asociated with the EOR's responsiblity. I often wonder, however, about
the PE who bids the foundation only as directed. Who takes the on the
other engineering responsibility? Is this a contractual issue, a
professional issue or a state issue?

I would think that you independent structural consultants out there deal
with this issue all the time. What is your take on it? Does your
responsibility get defined by your contract? Does your liability get
defined by the work you do and your contract or by what the profession
says that you are responsible for?

Jim K.