From: Jake Watson [mailto:jwatson(--nospam--at)utahisp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 1:35 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Trussed arch effective length

Review AISC's current specification for what constitutes a bracing
point.  It is fairly specific about stiffness & strength.

If I understand you correctly, you should be very careful with the
proposed model.  If the panel points have a girt on top of each one, and
the girts are adequately tied to a horizontal braced bay (think PEMB),
you  are fine.  If there aren't girts at the panel or the girts aren't
tied to a horizontal brace, you have dominos.  Once one reaches it's
limit, they will all fail together.

The easiest way to understand the problem is to follow the load.  Assume
one panel point tries "kick out" and fail.  Will it push/pull on a girt
or cable?  What then stops that girt or cable from moving?  If you can
understand what stops the panel point from moving, you have a load path.

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT

P.S. What braces the bottom chord of the truss?  Can the bottom chord
ever go into compression due to wind uplift?