From: John Riley [mailto:jriley(--nospam--at)cbbel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 4:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Architect's Certification

I performed the structural (and architectural, such as it is) design for a
little pump station for one of our in-house projects.  The building is only
14'x17', one story, brick & block, wood roof trusses.  The client is a
developer and the village is requiring that we place this architect's
certification on sheet S1:

---------------------
This is to certify that the undersigned is familiar with the "Village"
Building Code, including, but not limited to,
   International Building Code 2000
   International Residential Code 2000
   International Mechanical Code 2000
   Illinois State Plumbing Code 1998 ed
   National Electric Code 1999
   International Energy Conservation Code 2000
each of which have been incorporated therein by reference, and the
undersigned is familiar with the "Village" deletions, modifications,
additions and amendments to said referenced codes and regulations.
---------------------

While I might be tempted to sign the thing if only the IBC 2000 was
referenced, there's no way I can claim familiarity with any of the
remainder.  Since "certify" is a red flag word, I'll run this by our
insurance carrier, but I'm sure I know the answer.

Questions:
1. Do architects include these certifications on their drawings?
2. Would you?
3. How do you squirm out of it?

Had I known this was in the scope of work, I would have directed our
civil/mechanical people to seek someone else.

JPRiley