Should I not bid that? -was Re: Who is the EOR?

On the flip side, isn't this a little bit ridiculous
with so many requirements being imposed on a
responsible structural engineer?  Thorough and
concerned engineers are going to shy away from more
and more projects because there are too many ways we
can be held responsible for the actions of others.  I
know that isn't the intent, but it will be the result.
 I for one am beginning to second guess a lot of the
projects I routinely do after reading all of these
conversations about SERs and not being able to isolate
your responsibility to just one part of a project.

Joe Engineer down the street is going to feast on all
of these jobs if we turn them down, perhaps out of
ignorance or out of disregard for the finer points of
the code.  And that isn't helping anyone, except maybe
Joe E.  Unfortunately, we can't afford to wait for the
perfect projects to come along.  Sometimes you have to
accept more risk that you would like, for the sake of
keeping the work flow going.

Maybe I am reading too much into these conversations,
but they really make me think twice about my actions.
And that's not a bad thing.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA