From: Gale45man [mailto:gale45man(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 3:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Trussed arch effective length

For the top chord, it doesn't make sense to me to use out-of-plane KL =
1/2 the distance between the panel points.  I'd use KL = the distance
between the girts.

My first pass at evaluating stability of the entire
arch, including the bottom chord and web assembly,
would be a 2nd-order elastic analysis, perhaps with
expected out-of-straightness included in the model.

Galambos "Guide to Stability Design Criteria for Metal Strutures" 5th
edition may have some pertinent info.
There's a chapter on arches.

d @ v e e v @ n $