RE: Who is the EOR?

In my opinion, there "should" be a single "EOR" who is responsible for
coordinating all of the structural components for a given structure.
There can be different EOR's that seal the PEMB and the foundation, but
someone should be designated as the "overall" EOR that reviews the
individual design packages to ensure a consistent and complete design
package.

The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British
Columbia (APEGBC) developed "Guidelines for Structural Engineering
Services for Building Projects" that require the Structural Engineer of
Record (SER) to be the "concept reviewer" of the submitted designs when
structural components designed by an engineer hired by the contractor
are to be included. (APEGBC Guidelines are available at
www.apeg.bc.ca/.) The Contractor's engineer still seals their portion of
the design, but the SER/EOR must review the submittal for
appropriateness in the overall concept.

I have specified PEMB's previously where I acted as the overall EOR. I
don't thoroughly check their design nor do I take engineering
responsibility for it, but I review their design sufficiently to satisfy
myself that the design has incorporated the stated criteria and is
consistent at interfaces with adjoining structural elements (e.g., the
foundation). In some cases I've designed the foundation, and in some
cases an engineer hired by the contractor designed the foundation.

Thus, I would support a code requirement in IBC similar to the APEG
recommendations.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO