RE: filling CMU hole

Andrew –

That “someone” was me.

Plywood forms and pressure injecting grout are fine. I was thinking along those lines. I believe it should be some form of a non-shrink grout. A specific product recommendation would be nice.

With regards to dowels, I think that might be tough. The biggest hole that is going to be cut is 16”x16”. Some of them are going to be as small as 10”w x 16” tall; maybe 6” wide. I don’t see how you can drill a hole for a dowel in that small of a space and, if you could, I would question the effectiveness of such a dowel.

Also, I am curious if it would effective to bush hammer the face of the sawcut and/or apply some form of bonding agent which would improve the shear transfer between the plug and the wall.

Thanks for your reply.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588