RESIDENTIAL: "Reasonable & Customary Fees"

We've talked about this a little bit off and on, but I want to step up my efforts to get residential work now that I have a few of them under my belt insofar as new code requirements are concerned. My first few jobs were "bargain basement" rates and I of course cannot afford that on an ongoing basis.

My understanding is that a "reasonable and customary" fee for this sort of work is 1.5 to 2% of the "constructed cost." Yes, I recognize that it is more reasonable to charge for the actual effort but (1) That isn't going to fly with most homebuilders or homeowners in our area who are used to having NO structural work done, and (2) I think using the 2%-area figure is at best a great rule of thumb.

What I'd like to know is: 2% of what? If one uses that figure is it essentiall the construction cost of the home? The Market price of the home? The construction cost for JUST THE STRUCTURE of the home (i.e without electrical, plumbing, mechanical, architectural finishes, etc.)?

If so, what is a "good guess" as to the percentage of total cost represented by the structural?

(FWIW, I have some ideas along these lines but I'm really looking for "independent confirmation" of my own ideas).