From: Bill Allen, S.E. [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 2:59 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Filling Holes in CMU

I've got a project where I have to have prism samples cut from existing CMU
walls.

These holes will be somewhere between 16" square to 8" wide x 16" high.

I'm looking for recommendations on what I should fill the hole with and any
material/procedural specific recommendations that can be made.

I'm thinking that it will require some sort of a bonding agent (Sika or ??)
and then the hole filled with a non-shrink epoxy grout in a hole formed by
plywood attached to the adjacent CMU and a fill tube at the top.

Maybe this isn't the right/best way to go. I would like to hear
alternatives.

Even if this is the right/best way to go, I would be interested in
recommendations for the bonding agent and epoxy grout.

The design F'm is 3,000 psi using high strength block (compressive strength
of 3,750 psi), 4,000 psi grout and 3,000 psi type M mortar.

For more info on the project, go to:
http://www.allendesigns.com/projects/20402/20402.htm

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509