From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 8:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Specifying CMU block weights

What are the do's and dont's for specifying CMU block
weights in the northeast?  I am under the impression
that normal weight blocks are to be used for exterior
exposed CMU walls due to water resistance.  Is water
the governing factor, or are there other design
components to this decision?

Would medium weight or lightweight block then be
specified only for interior partition walls, or would
they also be specified for exterior walls that are
protected behind a vapor barrier, such as behind a
brick face?

I am guessing that it would it be too confusing to mix
block types on a project for interior and exterior
walls?  Seems safer to use normal weight block unless
medium or lightweight are explicitly required for some
reason.

TIA,
Jim Wilson