From: Mark Schroeder [mailto:MSchroeder(--nospam--at)fwcse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:33 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Plywood shear wall definition

Does anyone have any input to the following?

Question number 1:  Is it possible to have plywood occur on one face of a
wall for the upper portion of a shearwall and the other face for the lower
portion of a shearwall if all required blocking, etc. is present?

Question number 2:  Can a setback of 2" occur in the plane of a plywood
shearwall?  For example, if there is a transition from 2x6 studs to 2x4
studs that are properly connected together to transfer all shear, etc.,
would such an assembly be considered one wall or two different walls to
determine aspect ratio, holdown requirements, etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,

Mark E. Schroeder, S.E.
Ficcadenti & Waggoner, Inc.
16969 Von Karman, Suite 240
Irvine, California 92614