From: Mark Schroeder [mailto:MSchroeder(--nospam--at)fwcse.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 12:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plywood shear wall definition

Thanks for your replies.  Your responses have been great and I agree as well.  The actual transition from 2x4 to 2x6 studs occurs along the length of the shearwall.  My original question must have been confusing.  Most likely, I would have a vertical 3x4 stud lag screwed (to develop shear capacity) to a vertical 3x6 stud and the plywood offset would occur at that transition between 4" and 6" studs.  I believe you could consider this as one wall to define aspect ratio.  The addition of a hold-down at the transition as Gerard indicated would be a good addition as well.

Thanks again,

Mark Schroeder