From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: WOOD: Field Splicing

I just heard this morning that one can "easily" field-splice dimension
lumber by making a sort of "V-joint" and fitting the boards end-to-end
to make a longer piece. Then you put a piece of 1x on either side, about
four to six feet in lenth centered on the splice and nail it together.

It makes a piece that is "stronger" than the original. "It's in the
code," he tells me.

What in blazes is he talking about and where does it spell that out in
the building code? ANY building code?