Re: Plywood shear wall definition

Bill,
You are correct, unless the discontinuity occurs mid height in which case the sheathing on each side can help to control out-of-plane forces (i.e. wind) and additional straps can be used to resist bending around this joint. The use of holddowns would be necessary if the upper panels are narrow (example: openings occur in the 4-inch pony wall that calculates into uplift or overturning on the panel). In either case, is holddowns are not used, then coiled straps may be sufficient depending on the rated uplift and the same coiled strap or LST (MST etc) can be used on both sides to address out-of-plain (forces normal) buckling. I'm not sure if I make this any clearer or simply muddied the water. The simple point is to protect the load path against failure at any discontinuity (break) that may occur in-plane and out-of-plane.
Dennis

BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

A little clarification: the definition of the aspect ratio, per CBC Figure 23-II-, "General Definition of Shear Wall Height to Width Ratio," is based on the ratio of the clear height (measured between the _bottom_ of the framing for the upper diaphragm and the lower diaphragm) to the width of the sheathing unless shear transfer is provided around openings. See the cited figure for the latter case. Regards,
Bill Cain, SE
Berkeley CA