Re: WOOD: Field Splicing

When I investigated some apartments and houses in the LA area after the Northridge I saw this condition.
The worst condition was in hip beams on a hip roof some 15-22' long 2x8 & members with a 4' long diagonal splice.. near the center of the span, of course.  Most structures were built before 1960s. A couple even had damage from the Long Beach earthquake that had not been repaired.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA