RE: Precast concrete beam help needed

The section you described is referred to as a channel slab.  The likelihood of figuring out who the manufacturer was for a building from the 60’s and therefore finding an applicable load table for the members is not likely.  However, if you already know what the internal reinforcing is (and the approximate age of the building in order to estimate the likely yield strength of the rebar), the concrete compressive and have measured the pieces to be able to calculate the section properties then there is nothing stopping you from calculating both the flexural and shear capacity of the section as a spandrel T beam.  I assume that your reference to the internal reinforcing as rebar means that the sections are not prestressed so your calculations will be all that much easier.

D. Matthew Stuart, P.E., S.E.

Structural Department

SCHOOR DEPALMA

200 State Highway Nine

Manalapan, NJ 07726-0900

Phone: (732) 577-9000 (Ext. 1283)

FAX: (732) 431-9428

Cell: (908) 309-8657

Email: mstuart(--nospam--at)schoordepalma.com

Website: www.schoordepalma.com