Re: FW: WOOD: Field Splicing

Why does he need to strengthen the lumber? Aren't the structural members "just carrying a little bit of load" and they're way over-designed? :)

Does he keep the boards under pressure while the glue sets? I may be jumping the gun - you didn't indicate whether he used glue along with this 1x & nails modification.