From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2005 10:09 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: WOOD: Field Splicing

On Jan 28, 2005, at 10:42 AM, Bill Polhemus wrote:

> In our area the only recourse is to educate the consumer, the
> home-owner or potential home-owner, and they have to understand that
> they will be threatened with paying more, etc.
I've said this a hundred time, but trying to make contractors and
consumers thank about anything but their immediate cost is an exercise
in futility. The people who will benefit from the education are the
insurors who actually have to pick up the checks.

Your builder friend is telling you that he's not accountable for proper
construction--it's the inspector who tells him what to do. The
inspector isn't responsible to anyone either, because he can't be held
accountable for defects. In effect you have no one who's responsible,
since new construction warranties are meaningless. Looks to me liike
residential construction is in the same situation as boiler
construction 100 years ago before the advent of boiler codes.
1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/